WhatConverts uses a pool of telephone numbers for your dynamic number pool. These numbers are dynamically assigned and recycled to different users. Using a pool of tracking numbers gives you the data of an enterprise level system, while only requiring a small number of phone numbers. Creating a dynamic number pool for All Traffic will not only give you the source and medium the visitor used to get to your website, but will also display where on the site the lead was generated from and where the visitor initially landed. In the steps below, we will explain how to determine how many numbers you will need for your pool, and how to set-up and assign tracking numbers to the pool.
The All Traffic trigger source will track all channels coming to your site. It will give you a complete overview of how visitors are navigating to your website. If you would like a more targeted approach, see our article on keyword tracking for Google Adwords as an example.
1Determine how many numbers you will need for your dynamic number pool.
Find the peak number of visitors on your website within an hour. If you’re using Google Analytics, go to your dashboard and select the “Audience” > “Overview“. Choose the “Hourly” view on the top right of the chart. Add a “Segment” (found above the chart) if you are using a specific traffic source. Look for the normal high peaks in the chart by looking for how many visitors you have on your website at one time (concurrent users).
Use this formula to calculate the amount of phone numbers you will need:
Visitors During Peak Hour x Average Session Duration / 60 x 4
For example, your website has 40 visitors in its busiest hours. Also note the average session duration, we will use 2 minutes and 30 seconds.
- 40 visitors x 2.5 minutes/60×4 which gives us a total of 7 numbers for our Dynamic Number Pool.
2Create a dynamic number pool for “All Traffic”.
Go to your WhatConverts dashboard and click on the “Tracking” left side menu item. Select “Phone Numbers”. Click on “Add Dynamic Number Pool“, name your campaign, select “All Traffic” as your Trigger Source, then hit “Add“.
3Assign tracking numbers to your dynamic number pool.
- Click “Add Phone Number” to setup a new number to assign to the dynamic number pool. If you need help setting up the number, read the article Setting up Tracking Numbers.
- Assign this phone number to the Dynamic Number Pool you created. Hit “Update“.
- Repeat for each number that is needed. You can also reassign numbers by clicking “Edit Number” and changing the trigger to your Dynamic Number Pool.
4Test your tracking implementation.
The All Traffic trigger will track all sources, but for this example we will simulate a Google AdWords click, using these steps:
- Clear your browsers cookies.
- Open a new browser session and enter this URL, http://www.yourwebsite.com/?gclid=test replacing www.yourwebsite.com with the website you are testing. One of the numbers from your dynamic number pool should be displayed.
- Call the telephone number.
- Go to your “WhatConverts dashboard” and click the “Lead Details Icon” on the left for the test call you made.
Note: For information on clearing your cookies based on your browser: