WhatConverts allows you to track phone calls inside of Google Analytics through Event Tracking.
Connect WhatConverts to Google Analytics
- Login to your WhatConverts account.
- Select the “Integration“, then “Google Analytics” menu item.
- Add your Google Analytics Tracking ID. and we will send events based on leads tracked in WhatConverts to your Google Analytics account.To retrieve your Google Analytics UID, sign in to your Google Analytics account. Click on the “Admin” tab at the top and make sure the correct “Account” and “Property” are select. Then click on the “Tracking Info” and select “Tracking Code“. You should see your “Tracking ID“, copy and paste that value below.
- Choose what Leads to send to Google Analytics under “Lead Types to Track“.
See Lead Events in Google Analytics
Login to Google Analytics and select the “Behavior“, then “Events“, then “Overview” menu items. Take notice of Total Events and Unique Events.
- Note: At times there is a discrepancy in the number of unique events when comparing WhatConverts and Google Analytics data. This is due to our data range philosophies. WhatConverts looks at unique visitors all time, but Google Analytics looks at a selected date range or 30 days by default.
WhatConverts should now be showing in your Event Categories. We use the event category “Phone Call” for calls received and “Form Submission” for web form submissions.
Viewing events does provide some insights. Events can also be used to create advanced segments in your Google Analytics reporting.
Setup Goal Completions triggered by Events.
Using events to trigger goal completions can be done by first selecting the top “Admin” menu item in your Google Analytics account. Then, select “Goals” from the View column on the right. Click “+ New Goal“.
- Goal setup – Choose the “Custom” item just above the continue button. Click “continue“.
- Goal Description – Give your goal a name such as”Phone Call” and select the “Event” radio button. Click “continue“.
- Goal Details – Set the “Category” to the event category; for Phone calls from WhatConverts use Category Equals to “Phone Call“. Click “Save“.
Now each time a call is tracked through WhatConverts we’ll send an event to your Google Analytics account. This event will then trigger a goal completion that will make your Google Analytics reporting much richer.
These goal completions can also be used as AdWords conversions. This means you can track phone calls made back to a specific campaign and record them as conversions.
- Note: If you are sending Goal Completions as conversions to Google Ads (AdWords) and you have an integration with Google Ads (AdWords) in WhatConverts, you will receive duplicate conversions in Google Ads (AdWords). To fix this, use either the WhatConverts/Google Ads integration or Google Analytics Goal Completion connection.
Sample Reports with Goal Completions triggered by Events
Goal completions or conversions have been built into many standard reports within Google Analytics. Below are screenshots of some of our preferred Google Analytics reports. From these reports, we can view phone call goals by traffic source, campaign or keywords.
Acquisition > All Traffic > Source/Medium
Acquisition > AdWords > Campaigns
Acquisition > Adwords > Keywords
Conversions > Goals > Overview