WhatConverts uses a pool of telephone numbers for your dynamic number pool. These numbers are dynamically assigned and recycled to different users. Using a pool of tracking numbers gives you the data of an enterprise level system, while only requiring a small number of phone numbers.
Creating a dynamic number pool for a specific Source and Medium will not only give you the source and medium the visitor used to get to your website, but will also display where on the site the lead was generated from and where the visitor initially landed.
This article will help show you how to set up tracking for traffic with a specific Source and Medium. See our other setup articles: Set up Keyword Tracking for Paid (PPC) Traffic or Dynamic Number Pools for All Traffic
You can use a UTM Source and UTM Medium to measure your success for specific marketing materials or outreach. You can use tools like the Google Analytics URL Builder to help build the UTM parameters you would like to set up. In the examples below, we’ll use the UTM Source of “facebook” and the UTM Medium of “post“.
- Note: If you are tracking multiple traffic sources, we recommend using an All Traffic number pool.
1Determine how many numbers you will need for your dynamic number pool.
Find the peak number of visitors on your website within an hour. If you’re using Google Analytics, go to your dashboard and select the “Audience” > “Overview“. Choose the “Hourly” view on the top right of the chart.
Add a “Segment” (found above the chart), add and apply a segment for the “Source” and “Medium” that you are wanting to track.
- Note: To add a Source and Medium segment, select “Traffic Sources” and type in your selected Medium and Source as shown in the image above.
Look for the normal high peaks in the chart by looking for how many visitors you have on your website at one time (concurrent users).
Use this formula to calculate the amount of phone numbers you will need:
- Visitors During Peak Hour x Average Session Duration / 60 x 4
For example, your website has 40 visitors in its busiest hours. Also note the average session duration, we will use 2 minutes and 30 seconds.
- 40 visitors x 2.5 minutes/60×4 which gives us a total of 7 numbers for our Dynamic Number Pool.
2Create a Dynamic Number Pool for Source and Medium.
Go to your WhatConverts dashboard and click on the “Tracking” left side menu item. Select “Phone Calls” then “Phone Numbers“. Click on “Add Dynamic Number Pool“, name your pool, type in your Swap Number (the number that is static and displayed on your website). Under Set Number to Swap select the radio button next to “Source/Medium“. Type in the “Source” and “Medium” you would like to track calls for.
- Important: UTM Parameters are case sensitive.
3Assign tracking numbers to your dynamic number pool.
- Click “Add Phone Number” to setup a new number to assign to the dynamic number pool. If you need help setting up your numbers, see: Setting up Tracking Numbers.
- Note: You can also edit existing numbers to add them to your Organic Traffic Dynamic Number Pool by selecting the “gear” icon next to your tracking number.
4Test your tracking implementation.
To simulate a UTM Source and Medium click. Add the UTM Source and Medium to the end of your URL. Simple replace the SOURCE and MEDIUM in the following string with what you have set up in your Dynamic Number Pool.
?utm_source=SOURCE&utm_medium=MEDIUM&wc_clear=true to the end of your URL.
- Example: http://www.whatconverts.com/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=post&wc_clear=true